Sunday, March 15, 2009

...Ponderings from the Arm Chair of the Lazy Vegan

First, a note of thanks, extended to my dear friend FLAWMIO. Your Tuesday posting was truly somewhat innovative, and much appreciated. 

And now, on to other things. 

First, in case you're wondering what the Lazy Vegan Arm Chair looks like, click here. And no, I don't know that dog. 

Profound thought: 
Food is strange. In and of itself, it is simple. A little exercise from my SAT days for illustration:

Car:Gas as Human Body:Food

But then, we humans aren't so simple. Food is fuel, and then some. It's politics, sex, style (watch out, this opens a PDF; and hey Mom: raw food ain't so new), and an excuse to sit down and talk. 

Michael Pollen is collecting people's "food rules" on a NYT blog. If you have some time to burn, check it out here. Food rules... an interesting concept. 

Being the Very Lazy Vegan, I lack both time and attention, so I only read the first page of replies to Pollen's request. Here's the (only) nugget I found:

Apropos of what your Russian Jewish grandfather used to say, my own (same gene pool) was happy having a bathtub of chicken soup for dinner, with just a little bit of vegetables and microscopic amounts of chicken. My grandmother, his wife, was a tremendous baker. And for the Sabbath, when she made her famous babka, you were never sure if it was a ‘cake’ or a ‘bread’ because she only used enough sugar to give you the illusion of it being sweet. TOO SWEET was never an option in her baked goods. Probably as a result of being poor (which is why we all grew up drinking coffee w/o sugar!) coupled with the depression, then food stamps during the war.

So, I use little sugar in my baking.

And another prevailing philosophy of mine is this: Eating is not a sport, and food is not its equipment. I eat when I’m hungry and need a meal, not because the food is staring at me or because it’s “something to do when bored.”

I’m also not fat. :-) and have never once eaten in McDonald’s. Not once in my 55 years.

Ellen

— Ellen
Go Ellen.

No comments:

Post a Comment